Lab Access Details
Lab access Link
1) Start each lab 3 minutes before required, it takes that time to spin the VM up.
2) Follow the instructions exactly as written and do not skip any steps.
3) When typing in the virtual machines, going from the instructions to the VM requires you to click into the VM. Example in the Terminal window you always miss the first letter of the command.
4) There are some keyboard mapping issues eg
@= shift 2
5) Some of the questions in the lab you must get correct first time, otherwise you cannot go back and redo. These questions do not stop you from progressing.
6) The Applied labs are a repeat of the Assisted labs without as many tips. A good idea to make a note of some of the Linux commands used in the Assisted labs as there will be no hints.
Lab 01: Exploring the Lab Environment
1) In the Lab, I could not open the CDROM to access Odyessus, this caused no problem with the lab. 1) Click on the icon of the DVD drive :) in the notes
Lab 02: Scanning and Identifying Network Nodes
1) Remember that in the terminal window typing the first letter of the command needs you to be in the window.
2) Output in the terminal window often exceed the window size, scroll back in the window to see the full output
3) There is an arrow after the score for the questions, this can be used to get more details related to the answer for the question.
Lab 03: Intercepting and Interpreting Network Traffic and Packet Sniffing Tools
1) Q13 the answer is UDP yet you are analysing TCP ?
2) Step 10 in the url there is \\ and it should be //
3) Step 11 #=\ (Keyboard mismatch mappings)
4) Step 2 @=" (Keyboard mismatch mappings)
Lab 04: Analysing the Results of a Credentialed Vulnerability
1) There are screen shots of the options to choose in the lab instructions. Small black arrow next to instruction.
Lab 05: Installing Using and Blocking a Malware based Backdoor
Lab 06: Performing Network Reconnaissance and Vulnerability scanning
1) Login to Centros tricky
2) Wireshark expand the arrow next to authorization to see credentials
3) When opening the report the default browser is chromium select firefox.
4) The script for testing 4450 in the question failed, it looks like it could not find the firewall rules.
Lab 07: Managing the Life Cycle of a Certificate
1) Tricky to find the CA ie issued by (515support-CA)
Lab 08: Managing Certificates with OpenSSL
Lab 09: Auditing Passwords with a Password Cracking Utility
1) fiddly to edit password file:(
Lab 10: Managing Centralised Authentication
Lab 11:Managing Access Controls in Windows Server
1) Quite tricky to add the AD groups and permissions if not before.
Lab 12: Configuring a System for Auditing Policies
1) Tiresome lab :(
Lab 13: Managing Access Control in Linux
Lab 14: Configuring Identity and Access Management Controls
Lab 15: Implementing a Secure Network Design
Lab 16: Configuring a Firewall
1) states sign in with Centos default account
Pa$$w0rd did not work for this so logged in as root
2) ~ tilda was top left keyboard quotation mark
3) refresh firefox as it caches pages
There is a question why this happens in the lab.
4) | pipe = shift #
Lab 17: Configuring and Intrusion Detection System
1) The DDOS attack freezes the MS1 windows machine
Lab 18: Implementing Secure Network Addressing Service
1) Confusing setting up theDHCP from Server Manager, just next through wizard. select the DHCP server option not clear in the lab guide during wizard. Takes time to install at end.
Lab 19: Implementing a Virtual Private Network
1) vpn box was originally greyed out went back in and it was ok
Lab 20: Implementing a Secure SSH Server
1) This lab is approx 50 minutes long. For a very simple process this is way over complicated with editing of Unix files to achieve an outcome.
2) click and drag on cento screen to login
3) centos account password did not appear to work
4) commands reference su when we are already logged in as su because of above.
5) Authorized not Authrised in issue.net (RTFM) otherwise sript check does not work
6) Last part of lab did not work ie test root login (Probably my mistake)
7) Last question did not work because of above
Lab 21: Implementing Endpoint Protection
Lab 22: Securing the Network Infrastructure
1) Centos login worked
2) VPN box appears second try.
3) Wrong input for q4 on the DHCP meant I could not put the correct one in. The lab allowed me to progress after time.
Lab 23: Identifying Application Attack Indicators
1) Latest report for Memory Baseline did not create last task step :(
Lab 24: Identifying a Browser Attack
1) # = shift £
Lab 25: Implementing Powershell Security
Lab 26: Identifying Malicious code
1) Click on the icon of the DVD drive :) in the notes
2) Some of the questions in the lab you must get correct first time, otherwise you cannot go back and redo. These questions do not stop you from progressing.
3) Select powershell ISE from start menu
Lab 27: Identifying Application Attacks
1) Last question "what is the execution policy with the new GPO effect" was the wrong answer. I put Unrestricted
Lab 28: Managing Data Sources for Incident Response
Lab 29: Configuring Mitigation Controls
Lab 30: Acquiring Digital Forensics Evidence
1) Timeline Editor SLOW
Lab 31: Backing Up and Restoring data in Windows and Linux
Lab 32: Managing Incident Response Mitigation and recovery
1) Active directory Users and Computers not groups
2) Failed check of edit of rsyslog.conf but it was ok, so assume checking script at fault.
3) Totally messed up logger stuff which is in a previous lab anyway :)